Sometimes I think it is nice to know a bit about the person, outside of work, so I thought I would tell you a bit about who I am.
I was born Alex Hitchings (Alexandra Jane to be accurate!) in 1963 and I grew up on a farm in Wiltshire with 5 brothers and sisters and lots of animals. I spent my childhood determined to be an actress, but at the tender age of 16, was turned down by the National Youth Theatre, so decided to study speech therapy instead.
I studied and lived in London for 14 years and then moved back down to Wiltshire / Hampshire in 1995 where I have lived ever since, currently living on the edge of the New Forest.
I am married to Brian Sains, who I met at work in 1997, and I have 3 boys – Ed and Pete Kelly are from a previous marriage, and George Sains. So, if you met me outside of work, I tend to be known as Alex Sains.
A few other things about my main loves…
- I love animals – I am a keen dog walker and I love to work with a cat on my desk or on my shoulders.
- I love cooking and food – I have been a vegetarian for most of my life and pride myself on my home-cooked vegetable and paneer curries.
- I love hosting a party – but I have to make sure I don’t do this too often as Brian doesn’t like it when we are too sociable!
- I love the countryside – it is definitely where I go to de-stress.
- I love music, singing and writing – both words and songs.
- I have recently found a love for God – something that took us all by surprise a few years back. If you are interested in some of my thoughts on faith, please do look up my videos on YouTube.