StoryBoards 2 follows the same successful format as StoryBoards, but introduces fantasy locations and suggests activities and outcomes to encourage children to understand how to develop imaginative writing. The activities provide a framework which helps them to use their imagination to invent their own storylines and endings.
The story elements include: Where did you go? (e.g. desert island, under the sea, fairy castle, underground, dark forest, outer space). When did you go? How did you get there? What did you see? How did you feel? What happened?
An example is:
Where? – a visit to a fairy castle
When? – in the morning
How? – magic carpet, dragon’s back, space rocket, hot air balloon
Saw? – wand, harp, jewelled crown, suit of armour
Felt? – choose from emotions pack – happy, sad, excited, scared
What happened? – changed into a frog, rode home on a dragon, woke up.
StoryBoards 2 can be used effectively with both individuals and groups. Individual boards are provided for use by up to four ‘players’ at a time, but when more children are involved they can work in pairs to develop individual stories or work on a single story as a group.
StoryBoards 2 includes:
A Story Cards Board – this can be used to introduce the children to the colours and story elements, for example: yellow represents ‘where’, orange represents ‘when’, red represents ‘transport’, blue represents ‘objects seen’, purple represents ‘feelings’, and green is a question mark so that children have to think up how they want to end their stories.
StoryBoards x 4 – the different cards can be placed on these to provide a visual reminder for the children when telling their stories.
- Location cards (yellow) x 6
- Forest, Cave, Castle, Desert Island, Ocean, Outer Space
- Time cards (orange) x 12
- Transport cards (red) x 12
- Object cards (blue) x 6 per location
- Forest – snake, glow-worm, fairy, unicorn, magic mushrooms and wolf
- Cave – paw prints, bat, bear, eyes, dragon and spider
- Castle – knight, horse, jewelled goblet, crown, golden key and harp
- Desert Island – map, cactus, palm tree, treasure chest, banana and monkey
- Ocean – musical octopus, shark, anchor, pearl, mermaid and shipwreck
- Outer Space – planets, astronaut, alien in a spacecraft, telescope, flying witch and stars
- Feelings cards (purple) x 12.
- Endings cards (green) x 6.
- Lotto Boards x 6 – one board to use with the Object pictures for each location.
- Photocopiable Story Planners x 2 – to use for both drawing pictures and writing.
- Colour-coded dice.